AMIM Industry Experts’ Talk on Code of Ethics & Integrity and Shipbuilding Contracts & Arbitration
27 August 2018
As part of its effort to disseminate the latest and quality information on the marine industries, AMIM organized a double-header talk on 27 April 2018 at the premise of its member, Grade One Marine Shipyard Sdn Bhd at Boulevard Damansara in Petaling Jaya, Selangor
The first talk was on the Code of Ethics and Integrity by First Admiral YBhg Dato’ Ir Ahmad Murad Omar (Retd.), AMIM’s Vice President (Marine Related Industries) who is also Executive Chairman, Omahams Corporation Sdn Bhd, an AMIM member which is involved in ship repair and provision of marine services, fittings and equipment.
The talk by Dato’ Murad covered the following :
- Insight into the importance of code of ethics and integrity in organizations.
- Development of code of ethics and integrity practices among corporations n Malaysia.
- Legislative development in code of ethics and integrity, including Malaysian Anti-Corruption Agency (MACC) Act 2009, National Integrity Plan and Whistleblower Protection Act 2010.
- The impact of leadership and how it helps in shaping organizations to develop a corporate culture based on integrity.
This was followed by a talk on Common Pitfalls and Legal Issues arising from Shipbuilding Contracts by Jeremy Joseph, Principal Partner of Joseph & Partners who is also Honorary Secretary, International Malaysian Society of Maritime Law (IMSML). Jeremy touched on, among others, the following :
- Typical shipbuilding disputes
- Standard form shipbuilding contracts
- Overview of arbitration and the drafting of arbitration clauses
- Benefits of arbitrating shipbuilding disputes in Malaysia
The strong turnout at the talk, attended by 25 AMIM members, provided an indication of the keen interest among marine industry players in gaining knowledge related to the industry shared by authorities on their respective subjects such as YBhg Dato’ Ahmad Murad and Jeremy. AMIM is pleased to be able to provide a platform for the dissemination of quality, latest information about the industry through this series of talks as part of its effort to promote knowledge sharing and networking in the industry.
Through the talk, AMIM fulfils its role of promoting exchange of information and sharing of knowledge befitting its status as the Industry Lead Body for shipbuilding / ship repair and as the national focal point for the marine industry in Malaysia.